The US House voted on and passed H.R. 3884 MORE Act of 2019 to decriminalize, legalize, and tax cannabis by a vote of 228-164. The bill now goes to the senate. While still a long shot this is quite a milestone.
Whats in the MORE Act?
The MORE Act may yet be amended but let’s have a look at some of the highlights of the current iteration.
- Cannabis shall be removed from schedule of controlled substances within 90 days of passage.
- “Marihuana” is struck from the legal code in several places.
- Demographic collection of business and employees in cannabis sector.
- Opportunity Trust Fund
- Federal sales tax at 5%.
- Legal aid for expungement of cannabis convictions.
- Availability of small business administration programs
- Cannabis business loans
- No discrimination for public benefit on basis of cannabis.
- No adverse effect for purpose of immigration laws.
- Resentencing and expungement.
So, what now?
Now it’s in the hands of the US Senate. Call your senators now and tell them you support the MORE Act.